Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bourne Conspiracy First Impressions

I (Jason Bourne) am a badass - Like most Jason Bourne fights, I'm going to keep this short and sweet. The Bourne Conspiracy is a cool game and you should buy it. What? I'm supposed to elaborate?!? Didn't you read the title of this post? First impressions are usually brief. Still not good enough? Fine here are the highs and lows after the first four levels.
.
The Good
- The fighting mechanics are excellent. They're relatively simple yet effective and truly give the feeling that you are Jason Bourne. This game was made for 95-pound weaklings to feel good about themselves.
- The story, which is expanded upon greatly if you've only watched the movies, is well told. The flashbacks stay honest to the feel of the films. I read the first Bourne book a long time ago so I don't know if that's where the extra story comes from but it sure works.
- The overall game presentation is superb. The character models and backgrounds are all detailed and the weather effects are a nice touch. The in-game music adds plenty of tension.
.
The Not So Good
- The shooting mechanics are pretty lame. It reminds me a little of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Thankfully you spend more time fighting than shooting in the game. At least I have through the first four levels.
- There are some collision detection issues - an enemy's head going through a dumpster on a melee attack, getting stuck behind boxes while still running. Its not a major problem yet, but it gives the game an unpolished feel.
.
Its early but I'm really enjoying this game. I haven't tried any driving missions and the shooting mechanics should be better but as an unabashed Bourne fan I'm pretty pleased. At this point I'd give it a solid B+.
.
coloradojoemail@yahoo.com

No comments: