Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Mole



Before I get into the latest news on the gaming world front, I just wanted to let you know that Thursday afternoon I'll be interviewing Official Xbox Magazine's editor-in-chief Francesca Reyes and PlayStation Magazine's Chris Slate about the state of next-gen gaming consoles.
.
These interviews will either be on the blog or in an article in the paper sometime in the next week or so but (keeping with my New Years Resolution to be more interactive) if you have any questions you are dying to ask these gaming journalists, drop me an email and I'll see what I can do. On to the news.
.
Making the world of a great game even bigger - Bethesda announced late last week that the Shivering Isles expansion for the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be released this spring for the Xbox 360 and Windows PC. The expansion adds a new plane of Oblivion, the realm of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness. The new content will be seamlessly integrated with the original game, so newcomers and experienced players will be able to explore the area.
.
According to www.gameinformer.com the Shivering Isles features a landscape completely different from that of Cryodiil’s, divided into Mania and Dementia halves. The prince’s realm is in danger of being destroyed, and he calls upon the player’s character for help. Along the way, characters will encounter fiendish new dungeons and more than a dozen new enemies. Fortunately, craftsmen are on hand to forge custom armor and weapons. No word yet on the cost of the expansion (free would be nice) but I guarantee it'll be worth it.
.
I said "duty" - Last Thursday Activision announced that its Valor Map Pack is now available on the Xbox 360 for 800 Microsoft Points ($10). It includes 5 new multilplayer maps and close quarter combat experience. Frankly, with all of the options online right now (Lost Planet, Gears, etc.) I think Activision is a little late with an expensive map pack. This should have been released 2 months ago and for free. I have better ways to spend my money.
.
Finally, WoW action figures! - For those of you just dying to do your best "40 Year Old Virgin" impersonation, you're in luck. DC Direct is in the final stages of at least four figures from the World of Warcraft universe. Once you pick up one of these babies, you're guaranteed to get a date for the weekend!
.
Take that Sony and Microsoft! - Check out these recent quotes from Valve's Gabe Newell in a recent interview in the February issue of Game Informer magazine when asked his opinion on the PS3 and Xbox 360:

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels. I think it’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers wanted and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should cancel it and do a “do over.” Just say, “This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.” The happy story is the Wii. I’m betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I’m crazy. I really like everything what Nintendo is doing.”

On the 360...

"Microsoft has so many problems with Vista; I wish they were focusing more on the thing that runs on hundreds of millions of PCs rather than six million proprietary clients. Vista really shows a lack of focus on making a better consumer platform. I came out of the Windows group, and right now, I’d go with a Macintosh as being a better solution for most consumers than a Vista-based PC. It’s shocking to me. If you’re an XP user, you’re going to be more comfortable upgrading to an Apple than Vista."

I'd agree with his take on the PS3, at this point its been a huge disappointment. As for his view on the 360, I think he's full of it. First of all, he doesn't even talk about the 360, he rambles on about Windows Vista, an unrelated topic when it comes to console gaming. Also, I mentioned in my Wii console review last Friday that the Wii is a great system but its a family oriented thing. I just don't see its appeal to the typical gamer demographic.
.
As someone who owns all three systems, let me elaborate. When I want to play games with my family (including my "Ugh, you're playing games again?!?" wife), I use the Wii. When I want to play online or have fun blowing peoples heads off, I use the 360. And the PS3? At this point, I use it strictly as a DVD player.
.
I guarantee you I'll be asking Francesca and Chris their take on Newell's statement.
.
terry.terrones@gazette.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>>I said "duty" - Last Thursday Activision announced that its Valor Map Pack is now available on the Xbox 360 for 800 Microsoft Points ($10). It includes 5 new multilplayer maps and close quarter combat experience. Frankly, with all of the options online right now (Lost Planet, Gears, etc.) I think Activision is a little late with an expensive map pack. This should have been released 2 months ago and for free. I have better ways to spend my money.<<

...and it was so screwed up, they yanked the download off the marketplace. No word on the re-release, though they say 'soon'.

FrostyMelon