Saturday, April 22, 2006
The Top 5 Things You'd See at E3
Its almost that time of year, time for E3, the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo held in Los Angeles. Its a gamers Disneyland. This year events for E3 are running from May 9th - May12th. While I won't get to go this year (I begged and pleaded with my editors to no avail) I did go in 2001 and I know some other gaming journalists who are going to give me all the juicy details for this year. If you're one of the lucky few who get to experience this event, here is what you can expect, no matter what year you go.
1. Seas of People - Every year E3 seems to get bigger and bigger with more and more people dying to attend. The lines are long and the crowds are huge. Get used to doing alot of walking and standing in line.
2. Booth Babes - In a place where the guy to girl ratio is a ridiculously unhealthy 1000:1, Booth Babes can bring a little bit of sanity. These are the beautiful women who hang out at gaming booths and are paid to be nice to you. They even let you take a picture with them so you can prove you can get within 5-feet of a hot babe without puking.
3. Hype - They hype machine at E3 is even worse that at a political convention. Its loud as heck and is the perfect example of style over substance.
4. Parties - It seems like almost any company with any relation to gaming whatsoever has a party during E3. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, gaming publishers, gaming magazines, online gaming sites - you name it and they're partying on. There are usually multiple parties a night. They're just as much of a reason to go as E3 itself.
5. Big Announcements - Every year there is some hot new thing everybody is dying to see. Getting a chance to be one of the first ones to see what's going to be the next groundbreaking thing in gaming is a thrill.
So there you have it. If you've been to E3, or know somebody who has gone, share your story.