Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Finally a Good Star Wars Game

Que the cantina band - I've avoided Lego videogames like the plague. While I loved playing with Lego's as a little kid and I'm a Star Wars nut, I just couldn't see myself playing a game based on toys kids play with. Throw in the fact that Star Wars titles have about as great a history as Will Farrell movies and I was leery to try Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. But I've been bored lately. I finished the single player for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (the multiplayer was okay, but not quite good enough to make me keep it) and I've been looking for something to play until Grand Theft Auto IV comes out.
.
Since the game was fairly inexpensive (it came out about 6 months ago so you can find it used or buy it new for $50) I figured I'd give it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised to say that its the best Star Wars game I've played since Obi Wan on the original Xbox. The gameplay, as you would expect, is fairly simple. But the game presentation, action, drop-in coop, and the chance to play through the entire Star Wars storyline makes for an addicting title. I'm only through the first three movies but I'm completely hooked, I never thought I'd say that about a Lego game. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and here I am having fun with a kids game. This just further proves the point that what makes a great title is the gameplay, no matter how state of the art it is. This is probably why Mario Bros., yet another game aimed for kids, still holds up.
.
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga is a blast but what ticks me off about this game is that I have to play as a Lego character. In some ways this is a trap. This is the game that should have been made long ago but not as a Lego title. Of the hundreds of Star Wars games created I've only liked a few - the original Star Wars arcade game (the 1983 Atari cabinet), the aforementioned Obi Wan, Jedi Power Battles (my son and I played coop with this one, good times), Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Knights of the Old Republic, Rogue Squadron, and the best ever Empire Strikes Back. That's it! Eight games, if you count this newest Lego Star Wars title, out of 100's have been good, not a great track record.
.
But hey, what do I care? As a Star Wars fan I'll take what I can get. I'm enjoying a game set in the Star Wars universe and at this point I could care less if its a Lego title or not. The lesson to be learned? Sometimes good games can be found in the least expected places.
.

No comments: