Monday, December 24, 2007

2007: What a Year!


Doesn't get much better than this - Before I take a little time off for the holidays, I had to take a look back at the amazing year that was 2007. Personally, I'm not really the type to take time to reflect on everything I've done, its a little hokey, but after taking some time to think about it, I realized this year has been an incredible one. In 2007 I snagged some big interviews as OXM's Fran Reyes, PSM's Chris Slate, ESRB President Patricia Vance, and X-Play's Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb appeared on the blog. In the summer I attended my first E3 as a gaming journalist and set a personal record for most posts in a month and most times I've yelled at a digital camera. In October I got to go on a Zero-G flight and Game 4 of the World Series (those are more personal than game related but I just wanted to brag). And to top it all off, last month I got my first assignment for a national gaming magazine. To quote the great thespian Keanu Reeves...whoa!
.
So what's up for 2008? I have no freakin' clue. I had no idea that 2007 would be so great, but I do have some goals for next year. 1. Get consistent freelance work from OXM and use that to get even more work in the industry. 2. Head out to LA for another E3 tour of duty in July and give even better coverage than before. 3. Start up the Coloradojoe podcast with my brother and Eli again, it was a lot of fun to do and I miss doing it. I think I can actually get some industry people to come on this time. 4. Do more interviews, which I really enjoy. Some people I'd like to talk with, that I sincerely think I'd have a shot at, are 2K's Ken Levine, EGM's Dan Hsu, Kotaku's Brian Crecente, and Geoff Keighley. Since I got my start as a writer in sports, I'd also love to get some interviews with pro athletes talking videogames. 5. Visit Sony Online Entertainment in Denver and take a tour of their offices. I've been meaning to do this since E3 when one of the PR reps invited me to come take a look. I plan on taking him up on his offer. 6. Building some kind of community on the blog. I have no real notion on how to start this but I've always wanted this blog to be more interactive than it is, I just don't know how to go about doing it. LAN parties? Clan parties? Monthly beerfests? If you have any ideas, let me know. 7. Add more content on different subjects. Again, something else I don't know how to do but having a section on this blog about other topics (fantasy football, music, sports, pop culture) would be nice. Or maybe Eli and I will finally get around to starting our own website, an idea we've been tossing around for months. 8. More contests. XBLA downloads, games, gift cards...I can see giving stuff like that away. 9. Play GTA IV for 24 hours straight. I'm very devoted to my all time favorite franchise.
.
I hope all of you have a happy and safe holiday and thanks for reading the ramblings of a small town game writer. The almost 30,000 hits this nonadvertised site received this year is the fuel that keeps me working hard and trying to improve.
.
See you in 2008!
.

No comments: