Monday, May 28, 2007

The Review: Shrek the Third


Shortest. Review. Ever. - "Shrek the Third" stinks, don't buy it. Only rent it if you're kid is a HUGE Shrek fan. I'm talking, kid-who-dresses-up-in-a-Shrek-costume-every-day-for-school huge. What's that?!? You want to know why?!? Fine!
.
With apologies to Activision, this just isn't a good game. The graphics are last-gen. The game play is repetitive and dull, with endless button mashing and no variety to speak of, the camera is horrible, the game is too easy to beat, the celebrity sound-alikes are atrocious (only John Cleese?), and worst of all the Shrek humor we're all used to is non-existent. This game isn't even rated properly. "Shrek the Third" is rated E10+ for cartoon violence and crude humor but no child over the age of 10 would find this game even remotely interesting. A more appropriate rating would be E7 or E8, if only it existed. Save you're money and stay away from this game.
.
Shrek the Third
Players: Two
Price: $29.99 - $49.99
Formats: Xbox 360. PS2, Wii, PC, DS, GBA
Category: Action
Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and older)
Grade: D
.
Top 5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Shrek
1. First film to win an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature
2. The word Shrek comes from the Yiddish word that means "fear" or "terror".
3. Loosely based on the William Steig children's picture book of the same name.
4. Steven Spielberg originally wanted Bill Murray and Steve Martin to play Shrek and Donkey (Chris Farley was cast as the voice of Shrek but died before the film was completed so the role went to Mike Myers) but liked the finished product so much he changed his mind.
5. The Shrek line, "That'll do Donkey. That'll do." is a reference to the line, "That'll do pig. That'll do." from the movie "Babe".
.
A coloradojoe podcast?!? - That's right, I said it. I'm doing a podcast. I'm not even sure what it is exactly but I'm doing one. Here's the deal, after talking to my brother and deciding we had waaay to much to say about far too many topics (video games, movies, tv, music, sports, other guy stuff) we decided it would be fun to do a podcast. I've submitted the first episode and its been accepted by iTunes so look for it soon. The first one is very short and doesn't include my brother (and to be honest, its a little dull because I recorded it at 12:30 at night and I was tired after 3 hours of trying to figure out how the stupid thing worked) but look for it on iTunes by Friday. We'll be doing new episodes once a week and I hope you'll subscribe. Once its available and you want to download it, enter "coloradojoe" in the search author or title box to find it. If you're still having trouble, email me.
.
terry.terrones@gazette.com

2 comments:

Ub3rn00b said...

There's only been one good Shrek game so far. I forget the name but I have it for my girlfriend's son on the PS2. We have 2 for the PS2. One sucks, the other is good.
So, it's not shocking to me that there is another terrible Shrek game. I don't know why every time a movie comes out, they feel like they have to make a video game to go with it. Spiderman is cool. Pirates of the Caribean games are poorly made (haven't played the last one yet..but I plan to get it for the Wii). Superman sucked. Batman Begins was good. FF was decent.
I don't have itunes nor will I ever own an IPOD. Not ever. So no podcast for me.

Terry Terrones said...

Glad you brought up the fact that you have no iPod. Quite a few people don't, so I'll be posting the podcasts on this site and you can listen from here.