Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Mini-Review: Tiger Woods '08



I’m a little behind on my posts but I have a good reason, I swear. My home PC isn’t working, my laptop is in the Geek Squad shop and my work internet puts up more site blocks than Ned Flanders would. I’ve found it amazing how much not having a solid internet connection now cripples me. Five years ago I wouldn’t have cared if I had instant internet access but now I can’t live without it. Here’s an example. Recently, over the course of 5 days, I submitted an article that was done completely online. I got an interview, follow up questions, a press photo and submitted it all without leaving my house or making a phone call. And now I’m helpless! Gaah!!! While I bang my head against a wall, here are some quick gaming topics I’ve been meaning to get to.
.
Hold that Tiger! – Does anybody have it better than Tiger Woods? He’s what every guy wants to be - a good looking dude with a Swedish bikini model wife who is probably the most beloved athlete on the planet AND he has his own videogame. Jealousy aside, if you even remotely like golf I highly recommend Tiger Woods ’08. Previous editions of this series have frustrated me as much as real golf but this years version is much more user friendly. And for those of us who, in the past, might have accidentally thrown a club after their follow through on the driving range, it’s a lot safer.
.
The Good: The 3-Click Swing feature is a breeze to use and is a great alternative for beginners. There are a ton of different game modes to keep you busy and there are plenty of courses (16) and a nice mix of the best male and female golfers (21 in all). The graphics are fantastic and the audio, with goofy, yet humorous announcers, is solid. The Photo Game Face feature, where you can use a picture of yourself to make your own virtual golfer, is a lot of fun to play with.
.
My favorite feature is online match play. Gamers can play with up to 4 guys online but I prefer one-on-one. I played with my brother at Pebble Beach a couple of days ago and it was a blast. We were ragging on each other and having a great time. If only we had some virtual golf carts to smash into each other - maybe next year.
.
The Bad: The online Gamernet feature has a lot of potential but wasn’t that impressive. This allows gamers to post their best shots and rounds online and gives other gamers a chance to see if they can top you. It sounds cool but the menu for it is overly complicated and after awhile it gets frustrating.
.
The Grade: B+
.
Did someone say Cyberball? – After checking XBLM yesterday (I can still get on XBL at home, but at work xbox.com is blocked. Stupid Flanders.) I started to get a little nervous about not seeing anything for Cyberball even though its supposed to be available for download today. I’m starting to get paranoid that its not going to be released. If this happens, I might turn into Jack Nicholson in The Shining. But if it is up and anyone out there plans on getting it, send me an invite tonight. I plan on staying up late and getting my Cyberball on.
.
And finally – I’ve been turning into retro-gamer lately. I guess the Labor Day weekend marathon of Game Makers got into my head. All I’m missing is the classic Nintendo shirt, which I could probably find at Target. Look for a nostalgic article on the heady days of the NES and Super NES soon.
.
coloradojoemail@yahoo.com

No comments: