Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virtual Vince


Let's make it official - EA officially announced today that Tennessee Titans QB Vince Young will be the coverboy for this years Madden, not that this was any kind of surprise. After a recent appearance on Jimmy Kimmel where Young more or less told Kimmel he was on the cover, EA really didn't have much choice.
.
Young, last seasons rookie of the year, is the youngest NFL player to receive this "honor." And by honor I mean, volunteering to have a crummy 2007 season. The Madden jinx is well known throughout the gaming and pro football communities so I'm not going to bother explaining why Young was just scratched off of every armchair quarterbacks fantasy football draft board. What is even more surprising to me is that the former Texas star was selected over so many more deserving players. His stat line (2,199 passing yards, 552 rushing yards, 12 passing TD's, 7 rushing TD's, 13 picks, 6 fumbles) isn't exactly eye-popping material, even though he did make the Pro Bowl last year. Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, LaDanian Tomlinson and even Drew Brees were certainly more deserving but maybe the Madden curse scared them off. Either way, look for Young to be out for the season by week three.
.
Etc. - Tried out the new "Halo 2" maps last night, not too shabby. Both are meant purely for close quarter combat. Its just nice to have a little more variety...Typically I run my game reviews early in the week but after checking out the upcoming release dates, I'm moving them to the end to stretch them out a little. Aside from "Spider-Man 3" coming out in early May, things are looking pretty bleak. There's not too many must have games coming out between now and the end of JUNE! I might have to go a few weeks with a review. Yeah, I know the new "Pirates" game comes out on the new systems but after the last title I'm ignoring it. And yes, I've heard rumors about "Mass Effect" coming out in May but my sources tell me its not happening. If you like what you're playing, hold onto it, we're in for a drought.
.

No comments: