Monday, October 02, 2006

Kaaahhhn!!!


Have you ever had something so heinous happen to you that it made you want to scream? It happens to me more often than I'd like. I call it having a Kahn Moment. Why? Well for most people, when something quickly goes awry they'll shout out "Nooo!" or "Crap!" or "Shazam!" or whatever. Not me. Whenever something goes wrong for me I shout out "Kahn!" and if I can get a little echo in, all the better.

This is obviously lifted from the movie Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn. I feel that any day I can use a quote from Captain James Tiberius Kirk ("They threw me a few curves", "I don't believe in the no-win scenario") in an appropriate real-life situation is a good day for me - and yes its pathetic that I know Kirk's middle name. Like most guys I borrow quotes from TV, movies and music (sorry but t-shirt sayings do not qualify) without shame and place it into my regular vocabulary. My wife doesn't find this very creative but I disagree. I think it takes quite a bit of imagination to take something funny and use it in the appropriate context. Sure some sayings like "That's what she said" and Little John's "What?!?" can be overused but that just illustrates my point.

The reason I bring this up is due to my most recent Kahn Moment. Saturday night, after a long copy editing shift at the Gazette, I came home to unwind with a little bit of Saints Row. After 2 hours, I'm making some serious progress when suddenly the game locks up. Kaaahhhn!!! It was 3 o'clock in the morning, I had been playing for 2 freaking hours and of course I didn't save my progress. I just sat and stared at my screen, waiting for things to start moving, pushing buttons on my controller like a madman and cursing at Bill Gates. Eventually I popped out the disc and my 360 brought me to the main blade. I then went to bed and had nightmares that everything in my life quit moving except me.

This brings me to the dilemma of what to do with the game. Do I trade it in or keep it? I've invested a lot of time in the game and want to continue playing it but I also don't want to spend another 2 hours going over the same things I've already played. Of course if I would have just saved my progress, none of this would have happened to me. The moral of the story, which can be used for gamers and non-gamers: Don't be an idiot, save frequently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It did the same to me. And, I also did the same as you - stared blankly at the screen in hope, pushed buttons on controller...again, hoping. All to no avail. So, after I cooled off a bit I started it back up, and not had an issue since (I save a lot now, too).

FrostyMelon